[CQ-Contest] RE: CQ WPX-A Modest Proposal

Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: CQ WPX-A Modest Proposal
From: trey@kkn.net (Trey Garlough)
Date: Tue Apr 7 08:36:29 1998
> After reading all these words of wisdom on contesting;  who has the
> advantage, who is a better operator, etc., the plain facts are that  99%
> of the time, when it comes to DX contests using the present rules, the
> East Coast Contester will prevail.  Nowhere did I read that when the WPX
> contest was 30 hours in length, did a West Coast station win, only that
> they were more competitive.

In the 13 years preceding the change in format from 30 to 36 hours,
the US SOAB competition in WPX SSB was won three times by three
different west coast stations and one time by a midwest station.  I
agree with Art that under the present system the east will win 99% of
the time.

I'm not asking for equality, nor some kind of system where the west
coast wins all the time (or even half of the time).  I simply would
like to see the SOAB category reinstated to the old proven and
successful 30 hour format (with a five off-time maximum) that yielded
an east-coast US champion a mere 70% of the time.

--Trey, N5KO