[CQ-Contest] WPX Debate - Fun vs. I want to win

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WPX Debate - Fun vs. I want to win
From: k4lt@fuse.net (Douglas L. Klein, K4LT)
Date: Sat Apr 18 14:05:40 1998
Fred, K3ZO has hit the nail on the head.

I believe I am hearing the masses say  that rule changes that make a
contest a more level playing field are good.  Hogwash!!!!!!

Who cares who wins?  Nobody really reads the results anymore and cares
about who won.  There are only a few superstars winning these days
anyway.

The real fun in a contest is participating.  And if a rule change
increases participation or makes it more fun for the majority of the
people, I say to blazes with whether it creates a level playing field.
Go to WRTC for a level playing field.

I think the contest comittees should follow the flow chart below for all
proposed rule changes:

1.  Does the proposed change increase participation (and by definition
FUN for more people... fun means there will be more participation)?  If
yes, continue.

2.  Does the proposed change keep intact the original Flavor of the
contest (the overall composition of the contest remains WPX=prefixes;
FD=high participation; CQWW=worldwide etc)?  If yes, continue.  If no,
propose a new contest, and you sponsor it and adjudicate it.

3.  Does the proposed change make it more fun for Fred, K3ZO?  If so,
make change.  If not, drop the idea.  (The reason for this is that Fred
by his very participation makes a contest fun.  It is not only fun to
work Fred, but it is fun to read his story aftwerwards!)

Vy 73,

Doug K4LT