[CQ-Contest] Palmyra - More

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Palmyra - More
From: w4au@contesting.com (John Unger)
Date: Mon Apr 20 09:51:21 1998
At 02:58 PM 4/17/98 -1000, you wrote:

> stuff deleted...
>
>Last afternoon I had an amazing QSO with Ed Pollock,  NH6OO;  Ed and
>his wife were on Palmyra at the time both boats of the incident were
>there!!  Ed had befriended Graham,  the one killed while there;  Ed says
>he was a great guy,  a ham,  at least he had an amateur transceiver,  and
>was keeping a daily sked with another whom he had met in Hilo before
>sailing on down to Palmyra.
>
> more stuff deleted ...

I was the ham (KH6IJX at that time...) who had a daily sked with Mack and
Muff Graham after they left Hilo on their way to Palmyra. We were living on
the Big Island at the time while I was working at the Volcano Observatory.
We had met and become friends with the Grahams during their extended
layover in Hilo while they prepared for the next leg of their second
circumnavigation.

We kept in touch for a day or so after they had arrived at Palmyra, but
unfortunately, I was being transferred back to the mainland, and all the
ham gear had to be packed up and shipped off at that point.

I hadn't known that anything had gone amiss until friends in Hawaii
contacted us back in California when Mack and Muff's boat showed up
repainted and with new owners in Oahu.

It's a very sad tail that brings back many memories.

73 - John, W4AU