[CQ-Contest] FCC Issues RM on Bandplans

Subject: [CQ-Contest] FCC Issues RM on Bandplans
From: W2CE@prodigy.net (W2CE)
Date: Sat Apr 25 10:11:24 1998
> FCC assigns RM number, seeks comments on ARRL petition: The FCC has assigned
> a rulemaking number, RM-9259, to the ARRL's request for an FCC declaratory
> ruling equating band plan compliance with good amateur practice (see "ARRL
> asks FCC to support voluntary band plans," The ARRL Letter, Vol 17, No 15).
> The action is considered a bit unusual since RM numbers generally are
> assigned only to petitions for rulemaking, not to requests for a declaratory
> judgment. Comments on the League's request are due to the FCC by May 21. A
> complete copy of the League's petition may be found on the ARRLWeb at
> http://www.arrl.org/announce/declreq.pdf.

The above was just announced in yesterday's ARRL Letter. Apparently
requests to the FCC to pass this on for amateur comment has worked.

The ARRL has sought to make mandatory adherence to its bandplans and
making violations under poor operating practises.

These bandplans, fought for by many special interest groups over the
years have several areas of disagreement and have not been restudied of
commented on in many years by the US amateur community. My personal
opinion is that a small study of these old plans be made prior to any
FCC action and that a method other than ARRL Board decision be used to
judge the conclusions.

One of my pet pieves is SSTV on 20 meters in the densest SSB activity
just above the advanced/general band edge where many general class
amateurs would like to lure DX over from the forbidden zone. SSTV would
best be rellegated to 14300-350 along with other nets, especially as
some even when not in QSO will start atop others to maintain "their"
frequency.

I'm sure there will be another personal dislike to the current bandplans
by as many people as read this. Comments to the FCC in the next 30 days
will make the difference.

       73, Bob, W2CE

   Robert Reed, W2CE                        W2CE@prodigy.net
   1991 Route 37 West - Lot 109             W2CE@aol.com