[CQ-Contest] Hypothetical DX contest rules exercise

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Hypothetical DX contest rules exercise
From: jdowning@intelenet.net (John Downing)
Date: Tue Apr 28 23:17:01 1998
Hi all,

The WPX rules discussion has been interesting.  From the passionate
pleas to change the rules to the equally passionate pleas to not
mess with a good thing,  it's clear to me that contesters sure are
a competitive lot!

It seems to me that there are only a few variables available to
organizers to set to determine contest behavior.  These are:
duration, multiplier definition, multiplier weighting, available
frequencies (and the attendant variables such as frequency change
restrictions), entrant category definition, and award
distribution and structure. I think mode is a minor component.

Enforce-able rules have been the subject of considerable discussion
and conjecture but for the purpose of this exercise I'll assume that
enforce-ability is a secondary issue.

Much of the WPX discussion has centered around an award structure
that has a level of granularity at the country level which
conflicts with a multiplier structure that ignores the differences
in propagation across large countries such as, for instance, the
US or Australia.  Rather than change the rules, on the face of it,
it makes more sense to change the awards structure so that
entrants from common geographic areas can compete against each
other.

So here's the challenge:  Why don't we design a new (hypothetical)
DX contest with a new set of rules?

How long should it last (and when should it be)?

What qualifies as a multiplier and how should it be weighted?
        n.b. My suggestion here is TIME ZONE!  i.e., I'm in
        Zulu-7.  If I work a W1 we both get a multiplier of
        3, a G1 would be a 7, etc.  I think the Stew Perry
        grid square idea is cool also.  Hey, it's a DX contest!

What bands?  Any restrictions?

What mode(s) should be allowed?

What category of entrants?
        n.b. How about a remote multi-transmitter controlled
        over the internet category?  I guess you could call
        that muli-zone!

And what should the award structure be?

What would be the geographic / equipment advantages or
disadvantages of your suggestions?

And MOST IMPORTANT, how would your new contest rules generate
new interest in contesting from a wider group?  Hints: simple
rules make better contests and high QSO rates are much more fun
than endless CQing.

If there is sufficient interest I'll compile the rules for the
coolest contest that is suggested and apply those to a few
recent contest logs just for fun.

Have a ball!

John W2NA / V31DX

www.jcdowning.org