[CQ-Contest] CW SS Error Report Error Report - K6LA

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CW SS Error Report Error Report - K6LA
From: n6ig@netcom.com (Jim Pratt)
Date: Tue May 5 10:39:20 1998
On Sun, 3 May 1998 KWIDELITZ@delphi.com wrote:

>         I've got good news and bad news regarding the log checking in the
>         1997 CW Sweepstakes. The good news is you can get your error list
>         from  Billy Lunt at ARRL. The bad news is that in 13 of  30  QSOs
>         marked as errors, tapes confirmed I did not make an error (a  43%
>         error rate on the error rate.) In fact, in 3 of 10 cases where  I
>         was  penalized for a wrong PREC, QST listed the PREC as I  logged
>         it. The "master" on the error list had the PREC wrong!

Ken, welcome to the club!

As many astute readers of this reflector will recall, I went down a
similar road a couple of years ago.  However, there was one distinct
difference:  two of the top ten stations in the CW high power class has
ZERO errors and ZERO QSOs deleted from their log.

For discussion's sake, let's agree to the following premises:

1) All operators and log checkers are humans;
2) All humans make mistakes.

With that behind us, let's visit the two situations:

Two years ago:  Eight of ten stations in the "top box" had QSOs deleted,
two did not.  I found two "error checking errors" in my log through the
use of VCR log tapes.  I made a big deal about this and had the two QSOs
reinstated after a long discussion.

This year:  All ten stations had QSOs deleted from their logs in the "top
box" (some more than others, but everyone was "hit").  I do not plan on
making an issue about the QSOs I lost, about 2% of the total.

The difference?  If everyone was "hit", then presumably everyone was
checked with the same fervor (at least in theory).  You may think
otherwise, but I doubt you could prove it.  For example, I missed the
Division record by 1/2 QSO, conspiracy theorists may posit I was
targeted to just miss the record, but I couldn't prove that and I don't
believe that.

I could order up a copy of my "errors" and find "log checker errors" I am
sure.  BUT, I'll bet the log checkers could find errors in my log NOW
that they didn't find before, and the order in the "top box" probably
wouldn't change.  I have the perception, as an entrant, that everyone was
looked at equally.  (Again, my perception, it may not be true, but I am
OK with this viewpoint.)

Refer to the two premises above, I made mistakes and Newington made
mistakes since we are all human.  As long as no one is held up in high
regard as having an "error free log", discussions about giving back QSOs
that the log checker erred on seem somewhat self-serving.  BUT, if
"golden logs" are in the results next May, I will certainly question the
process.

Ken makes some intersting points that deserve discussion by the CAC
and/or the contest sponsors;  these involve tape recording, etc.  But I
am satisfied that Newington staff have recognized the premises above and
are looking at all logs with a fine-toothed comb...

73 and remember:

*10 days until Dayton!

Jim  N6IG