[CQ-Contest] WRTC-2000 COMMUNIQUE NO. 1

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WRTC-2000 COMMUNIQUE NO. 1
From: Tine.Brajnik@GUEST.ARNES.SI (Tine Brajnik)
Date: Wed May 13 12:46:48 1998
WRTC2000
ORGANIZATIONAL COMMITTEE, COMMUNIQUE No.1

Ljubljana, Slovenia, April 17th, 1998

WRTC-2000 is approaching really quick. Members of the Organization
Committee (13 members, most of us WRTC-96 veterans), are working very
hard to get everything in place for the big show. Apart from
logistical "nightmares," which draw lot of effort and time, we also
deeply discussed the competitory part of the event. Finally, decision
was made to add a few "cookies" (pile-up tapes, time-off
periods.....). We strongly believe that these new additions will give
equal opportunities to everybody. Not all rules and selections have
been fixed yet. Anyway, please find below the first official
information about WRTC-2000.

1. Continents

The very first task we were faced with was: How to determine the
number of teams representing each continent? Summing up the logs from
different contests and calculate the ratios seemed like a good idea,
but we strongly felt that more emphasis should be given to quality,
rather then quantity. So how we'd actually done it?

Using selected contests indicated below, we calculated the average
continent score per category for every single contest in 1995 and 1996
(CQWW CW & SSB, CQ WPX CW & SSB and IARU HF CHAMPIONSHIPS) For example
see Table 1 below. AVG/SOAB/HP represents the average score for
respective continent and LOGS QUALIFIED show the number of logs which
at least equal or beat that score.

Table 1 - Calculation spreadsheet for CQWW96SSB - SOAB/HP

AVG/SOAB/HP - NA             462,635
LOGS QUALIFIED - NA           61

AVG/SOAB/HP - EU              547,061
LOGS QUALIFIED - EU        46

AVG/SOAB/HP - AS              694,368
LOGS QUALIFIED - AS        6

AVG/SOAB/HP - SA              2,719,311
LOGS QUALIFIED SA          5

AVG/SOAB/HP - AF              3,805,137
LOGS QUALIFIED - AF        8

AVG/SOAB/HP - OC             2,064,207
LOGS QUALIFIED - OC       5

Categories used in calculations were:
- for CQ MAGAZINE sponsored contests (HP and LP were counted separately):
  SOAB, SO28, SO21, SO14, SO7, SO3.5, SO1.8, SO Assisted (only one
  category regardless of power used, single band entries count as multi
  band), QRPp (single band entries count as multi band entries), MS, MM.
- IARU HF CHAMPIONSHIP: SO CW/SSB, SO CW only, SO SSB only, MS,
  HQ Stations.

Then the numbers of "Qualified logs" from all categories were summed
up on a continent basis, giving the "Total # of Qualified logs". Table
2 shows team allocation for the 51 teams.

Table 2 - Team allocation based on the total number of "Qualified logs"

CONTINENT                    QUALIFIED LOGS            %                 TEAMS

NORTH AMERICA                      1779                     28.80%
15
EUROPE                                      3059                     49.51%
25
ASIA                                              700
11.33%                6
SOUTH AMERICA                        329                       5.33%
3
AFRICA                                         157
2.54%                1
OCEANIA                                     154                        2.49%
1

2. Teams

We plan for a 53-team (2 contestants in each team)
competition. Fifty-one teams will be chosen according to the rules
described below. In addition, there will be a defending champions'
Team (N5TJ - ex KR0Y&K1TO) and a bonus team for the Organizer -
Slovenia Contest Club. The U.S. teams will be determined in a
different way than the rest of the World. According to table 3 below,
12 teams are allocated to U.S. and 3 teams to the rest of North
America.

  Table 3 - Team allocation within North America (based on above mentioned
            contests from 1995-1996)

                                                        U.S.             N.
America (excluding USA)

TOTAL qualified logs                     1398                              381
% of TOTAL                                  78.58
21.42
Team allocation (rounded)                       12
    3

As far as the selection of U.S. teams is concerned, we are very much
in favor of the same concept applied in 1996. This method will be
described in a later message from the SCC. For the other continents,
including the rest of North America, our idea is that team leaders
will be determined by calculations based on scores achieved in the
following contests from 1995- 1999: CQWW CW&SSB (last one to count WW
CW 1998), CQWPX CW&SSB (last one to count WPX SSB 1999) and IARU HF
CHAMPIONSHIPS (last one to count IARU 1999; the 1996 IARU event will
be canceled from the calculations, due to large participation of
contesters in WRTC'96). This gives a total of 20 possible contest
scores, out of which 15 best scores will be used to qualify. For the
Europeans only, we will consider including scores from EU HF
CHAMPIONSHIP 1998 & 1999 to the list.  Based on above calculations,
separate continent lists will be compiled. For example, South America
gets 3 teams according to the ratio between continents.  Consequently,
the first three operators on the continental list for S.A. are the
Team Leaders. It would be solely up to them to choose his/her
team-mate. The only requirement is that the team-mate comes from the
same continent.

We would strongly like to encourage every contester interested in
taking part in WRTC2000 as a competitor, to submit preliminary
application on a form included below. This would give us a "feeling"
on how large the interest in WRTC2000 is.  Please make sure you are
submitting ONLY officially published scores from before mentioned
contests! You should update your application every time new results
are published in CQ Magazine or QST. Applications should be sent to
the following e-mail address:

scc@bit.si

  Application form
---------------
Permanent call-sign:
Name:
Address:
E-mail:
Country of citizenship:
--------------
CONTEST          CATEGORY             CALL-SIGN                SCORE
--------------

-------------

3. The Contest

IARU HF CHAMPIONSHIP 2000, of course! However, we are preparing some
"nasty" surprises for you, guys. Here are the main changes, compared
to WRTC `96:

- All 24 hours' operation during the 2000 IARU HF Championship,
  80-10 meters, with obligatory 4 hour time-off period (maximum 2 time-off
  periods, lasting no less than 1 hour). We believe that time-off rule will
add to
  the overall strategy and also give enough room to fight thunderstorms, which
  frequently develop during the summer period.

- As an addition to (but not within) IARU HF CHAMPIONSHIP, CW & SSB
  simulated reception (pile-up tapes) will be added. All teams will listen
  to the same tapes and try to figure out as many correct call-signs as
  possible, within a set period of time.

- The overall score for an entering Team will not be calculated according to
  common "points x mults" formula, but will be compiled from scores from four
  different standings. The best team in each standing will get maximum of 100
  points and the rest of the crowd will get a number of points related to
percentage
 of the score of the best team. The four different standings are:

     - CW&SSB simulated reception,
     - number of CW QSOs,
     - number of SSB QSOs,
     - number of multipliers.

The percentage contribution of each standing will be announced in a
later message from the SCC.

As an addition to WRTC-2000 reflector, generously provided by Tack,
JE1CKA, a WRTC-2000 dedicated WWW page will be created. This should
keep everybody well informed on all important news.

Please spread the word among the contesters around the world!

Organizational Committee WRTC2000

                                                Tine Brajnik