[CQ-Contest] Re: Club Areas

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Club Areas
From: nt5c@easy.com (John Warren)
Date: Thu May 14 21:40:33 1998
I think Tom K5RC missed the point.

There is an unreasonable gap between the present Local and Medium club
sizes. I'll bet Central Texas isn't the only one to be functionally a Local
club, but above the 20 mile radius limit. It doesn't make sense to bump us
into the 50 entry/175 mile category. If you insisted on that, we probably
wouldn't bother to enter ARRL contests. So how do we manage now? We stay in
the Local category, and tell our members outside the 20 mile radius tough
luck - even though we could use their entries, and they have nowhere else
to go!

There is a clear need, especially in the wide-open west, for a category
between Local and Medium. Something like 20 entry/40 mile radius would be
perfect, and give us incentive for membership growth.

What could be simpler than that?

73, John, NT5C.