[CQ-Contest] TH7DX stacking/Ethical contesting

Subject: [CQ-Contest] TH7DX stacking/Ethical contesting
From: srobbins@usit.net (Scott Robbins)
Date: Sat May 23 17:08:19 1998
I am researching tribander stack methods and am looking for
suggestions of where to look for additional information on
feeding a pair of TH7DX antennas.  I have read and digested the
Feb. 1994 QST article by K1VR and N6BV, as well as the WX0B article
from 1995 NCJ (the one that described the winding of 2.25:1 UNUN's
as an impedance matching device).  I've also looked at the
commercially made stack matching boxes as well.  I like to
understand the concept before I purchase an item like that, and I am
also curious to find out if I just want to try doing something
myself rather than buying a box.  Feedback please!

Re: Contest Ethics.  An interesting conversation took place between
myself and K4RO last month on this subject, that was a follow-up to
a discussion that ensued on this subject at a Tennessee Contest
Group meeting.  The issue specifically was multi-op stations who
run excessive power in DX contests.  The point?  Yes, we know who
is doing it.  No, no one wants to publicly point a finger.  These
are givens.  The solution?  Freeze them out.  No one is going to be
able to operate a competitive multi-operator station without any
operators.  QUALITY operators, that is.  Anyone can get five DXers
over to multi-op a contest and do lousy.  Tennessee Contest Group
members will not participate in operations where this activity is
taking place.  Sort of pointless to spend a huge amount of time and
money to build a competitive contest station if no one will come
and run it with you, eh?

That's a message to all of you.  Yes, it is a hell of a lot of fun
to operate a multi-single or multi-multi with great antennas and
big amplifiers.  If you're operating at a location where QRO++ power
is being used, you don't have to do anything except politely decline
to participate next time.  It's working here in the southeast; it'll
work anywhere.  Peer pressure doesn't have to be blatant.

Scott Robbins, W4PA

This e-mail message may not represent the viewpoint of my employer.
Visit the Tennessee Contest Group at <http://www.k4ro.net/tcg.html>