[CQ-Contest] 930 Digital Board Problems

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 930 Digital Board Problems
From: jsschuster@snet.net (Jack Schuster)
Date: Sun May 24 12:06:31 1998
I owned three 930s and they were terrific radios when they worked. Dont
know if this info was already mentioned on this thread...I dont have
time to read it all and I'm retired!
Someone at Kenwood once told me that the factory at which the digital
boards were built was on the shore, and they felt that the board was
contaminated by the salt air during manufacture, underneath a coating
put on the final board. I've been through all the plated thru poke thru
wire stuff....some are under IC's, and while it seemed to temporarily
fix problems at times, I never felt certain that it was right. The
problems came back. When I couldn't get replacement boards and they
couldn't be repaired, I got rid of my last Kenwood Radio.
Jack w1wef@snet.net