N4KG: Re: [CQ-Contest] packet cheating and ethics

Subject: N4KG: Re: [CQ-Contest] packet cheating and ethics
From: n4kg@juno.com (T A RUSSELL)
Date: Sun May 24 11:27:19 1998
On Fri, 22 May 1998 17:16:37 EDT Doug KR2Q <DougKR2Q@aol.com> writes:
>In a message dated 98-05-22 11:41:22 EDT, N0AX wrote:
>
><< Yes, it's an "empty victory" for the cheater, but also a real
> disappointment for the legitimate player who rapidly loses motivation
>to  go up against these guys year after year. >>
>
>Look....the first line of defense is YOU...the other entrants.  If YOU
>know about "cheating" and you sit on your hands (or just complain
>about it on internet), the YOU are just as much to blame.
> Try CONFRONTING the "cheater" and telling them that what
they are doing is wrong...tell the contest sponsors  too!

>I forget who started this, but posting the packet log is a GREAT
>START...now follow through....tell them your opinions!
>
>de Doug KR2Q

This is good advice Doug, but should carry the warning that you
will not be loved for your dedication to ethical behavior!

For the last several years, I have published announcements on
the SE DX PacketCluster to the effect that packet spots are a
form of "assistance" and therefore place the users in the
multi-operator category, starting before ARRL made this
clarification in the rules because of the magnitude of the
offending operators.

Some of the repeatable responses consisted of
"Mind your own business"  or  "Don't spoil our fun".
Others were worse.   Fortunately, the QST rules
clarification and repetition of that clarification by
others has greatly reduced the flagrant violations.

(Personally, I would prefer to see all packet cluster
system operators place a filter on all USA and
Canadian prefixes during the SS contest.  Don't
waste your time sending flames.  I doubt it will happen.)

For several years running,  two or three friends of
one of the SE heavy hitters would make spots or
announcements for their friend, encouraging
fellow club members to give him some points.
Fortunately, these "helpers" have started to see
the error of their ways.

On another note, I once heard one of the guest
operators at a BIG  Texas contest station CQing
on 15 meters, only to hear him immediately upon
QSYing to 20 meters.  A quick change back to 15
and sure enough, there he was.  He was a little
embarassed on 3830 when I asked him if he was
in the multi-transmitter single operator category!
(NO, it was not Trey).

Don't expect a lot of support from the sponsors,
other than a possible clarification of the rules
and intent.

Peer pressure DOES work, but it takes time,
and a thick skin.

de  Tom  N4KG