[CQ-Contest] Portable generators and ground-fault protection

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Portable generators and ground-fault protection
From: dave_hoaglin@abtassoc.com (dave_hoaglin@abtassoc.com)
Date: Tue May 26 13:22:00 1998
One of the generators that my club is considering for Field Day has
ground-fault protection.  The owner's manual contains the following
advice:

   Do not use cord lengths greater than 164 feet (50 meters), and do
   not use multiple tools and appliances with built-in noise filters.
   Such use may activate the GFCI and trip the circuit breaker.

I wonder whether, when we hook up three stations (each with computer,
monitor, and transceiver), they will be enough to activate the GFCI
and shut down the whole operation, even before the first QSO!

Is this a real issue?  What can we do to avoid it?

Thanks for the input.

73,

Dave, K1HT    dave_hoaglin@abtassoc.com