[CQ-Contest] More Contesters on Lower HF Bands?/Magazine Editorials

Subject: [CQ-Contest] More Contesters on Lower HF Bands?/Magazine Editorials
From: henrypol2@juno.com (henrypol2@juno.com)
Date: Wed Jun 3 23:27:51 1998
Trying again!

From: henrypol2
To: cq-contest@contesting.com

Not wanting to start a flame war; however, after reading K3EST's
editorial in the May/June issue of CQ Contest (this issue was the latest
one available at Dayton, so I am hoping that more of you have this one
and have read the editorial), I am curious as to why the USA does not
have a licensing program similar to other countries, such as Japan, where
lower class licensees have low power SSB access to portions of each HF
band.  Please NOTE, I am not talking about the VHF no-code Techs; just
the Novices and Tech Plus's.

It appears to me that this would be a way of getting more hams interested
in operating on HF, increase the sale of HF antennas/rigs plus
accessories, thus increasing the number of potential CONTEST contacts.  A
recent ARRL Directors vote decided not to support this concept.  However,
If you check the fine print in QST (forgot which issue, but sometime this
year) it seems that several directors who DID support the proposal are
avid contesters.  So they oviously know a good idea when they see it.

WHAT is the road-block in making this change?  What say others?  Is there
a fear that the lower HF bands will then be too crowded?  Or is it just
because of the code speed test difference (5 vs. 13-20 WPM)?

On a related subject; once a magazine editor has written an editorial,
where do we go to discuss the pros and cons of these editorials?  I don't
see any discussions here!  Is there an Editorial Net somewhere on 75M or
at the top of 20M?  Or are these only discussed in the halls and suites
of the Dayton Crown Plaza?

73,
Henry Pollock - K4TMC
Raleigh, NC (temporarily in Oak Ridge, TN)

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]