[CQ-Contest] ARRL 10M: Some insight in to the problem

Subject: [CQ-Contest] ARRL 10M: Some insight in to the problem
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Tue Jun 16 14:23:31 1998

When you send an email to the League with your log attached, the email
generates an automated response.  This is called an auto responder.  We
use it all of the time for people who use us as an ISP.

The problem at the League, as I understand it today, is that they were
having some internal mail problems.  When the email was sent, the
auto responder kicked back an email but in the process of forwarding the
mail to Billy Lunt's department, the mail was lost.

Trey Garlough, N5KO, has recently spent some time at the League and is
helping in improving the situation there.  One of the first things they
did was to add some redundancy to the system.  Specifically, now when you
send an email to the League with your score the email automatically gets
duplicated to a computer on the west coast.  Once the logs are all
received they will do a comparison between the two computers for missing
emails.

So, you see this really wasn't a situation of incompetence at the contest
branch.  It was a technology issue that I am sure the League has either
already fixed or is in the process of fixing.  Either way, there are
already safeguards in place so that this situation doesn't occur again in
the future.

On to bigger and better things...  Did we talk about the WPX 36 hour time
thing yet?

73

Bill, W4AN