[CQ-Contest] summary: RTTY at FD

Subject: [CQ-Contest] summary: RTTY at FD
From: bogus@does.not.exist.com (bogus@does.not.exist.com)
Date: Tue Jun 16 15:28:10 1998
Thanks for all the comments regarding RTTY as a separate mode for Field Day.
My original post asked about who was going to try RTTY on FD.  I stated that
our club was going to try sharing RTTY and CW on the same station because we
don't have many CW ops.  I feel from your responses that there will be
sufficient activity to warrant putting a RTTY station on the air. I thought
comments fit into four categories:
1. Most people think the jury is still out on RTTY and will wait and see what
happens to other club's rates.
2. The die hard CW OPs will stick with their mode because that is what works
best for them and they really don't want a RTTY station less than a 100khz away
from their signal.
3. There are clubs that will demonstrate RTTY on the HF bands to their members.
4. There will be FD setups with a fulltime RTTY station.

I hope a lot of the active RTTY guys that stay home on FD will get on to give
their mode a boost too.
I am also hoping the no-code technician guys that relate to computers and
digital communications will see the fun of using RTTY in the HF bands as reason
to upgrade.

GL on FD,
Bill Frede  W7II
Pocatello ARC   N7PI
Pocatello, Idaho

I compiled a summary of all the comments I received but this reflector didn't
seem to accept my post.  It is rather long so maybe there is a size limitation
on posts?  Anyway, if you want the full blown RTTY summary, just send me a
request.  w7ii@rf.org