[CQ-Contest] Aerial photos of your QTH?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Aerial photos of your QTH?
From: frenaye@pcnet.com (Tom Frenaye)
Date: Sat Jun 27 13:01:09 1998

Microsoft just put a huge (2-3 terrabyte) database online of satellite
photos of most urban areas in the USA and Europe, and some elsewhere.  Some
if the photos have a resolution of 1m - so you'll be able to see your house,
car, and driveway - probably not your tower and antennas but you may see the
clearings made for them.

I looked my QTH up and could see the clearings in the woods, nearby fields,
by neighbor's houses, etc.  Looks like a great planning tool for figuring
out where I can run Beverages and how far.  One photo of Washington DC
clearly shows the Washington monument and its shadow...

I found the site very slow to use - many refused connections because the
servers were overloaded.  But, Microsoft is using the site to show off SQL
Server 7.0, Windows NT Enterprise Edition and other vendor hardware and
software - I'm sure it'll be smooth running soon.

You can download personal copies of the photos - approx 700x400 pixels in
JPG format, or even order high resolution photos and the base database.

Try out:        http://www.terraserver.microsoft.com

                                73 Tom
E-mail: frenaye@pcnet.com
Tom Frenaye, K1KI, P O Box 386, West Suffield CT 06093 Phone: 860-668-5444