[CQ-Contest] more - post contest log corrections

Subject: [CQ-Contest] more - post contest log corrections
From: ddjones@nas.com (Dale Jones K5MM)
Date: Tue Jun 30 23:35:34 1998
 Doug:
 For more than 40 years I've been contesting from places all over the world.
 To suggest than a post-contest scan and massage of a log sheet, whether hand
 written or computer generated, is wrong or inappropriate (read: cheating), is
 just plain OUTRAGEOUS and in my judgement OUT OF ORDER.

 The analogies in auto racing, horse racing, track & field, and Many other
 endeavours, including a historic practice in ham radio contesting, indicate
 that it is reasonable, fair, and appropriate to review and massage a contest
 log after the contest has finished.

 In the pre-computer days of radio contesting, virtually everyone that I know
 spent many hours atter a contest "duping" their logs, and making corrections.
 Thus, the playing field was LEVEL.  As someone said earlier, if you choose
 to be lilly white and close your log at 0000Z on the last day of a contest,
good
 for you, and hopefully no one will critizize you for doing so.  But there will
 be screaming, cussing, kicking, biting, and all sorts of other adverse activity
 if someone who chooses to be "lilly white" verbally abuses the practice that
 has been going on for decades in ham radio contesting, and is allowed by the
 rules.

 A look at the rules for all the contests that I know of do NOT have rules
 against this activity either.

 73
 Dale  K5MM