[CQ-Contest] more -Has the contest ended yet?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] more -Has the contest ended yet?
From: ddjones@nas.com (Dale Jones K5MM)
Date: Mon Jun 29 14:18:35 1998

 Dick:
 Your points are well put, and generally I agree with you.  It seems archaic to
 disallow use of technology that we have available to us, because someone
 wants to be hollier-than-thou in how a log is prepared.

 Moreover, I would offer that during a contest - what was worked is what is
 on the tape recorder......not what was accidentally written/typed into a log.
 Now, does that mean an operator should be able to compare his logs against
 a huge database and correct improperly sent/received call signs?  Needs an
 answer.

 This reminds me of horse racing.  Nowadays, technology provides for measuring
 speeds down to the 1/1000 second....maybe even 1/10,000 of a second.  There
 is photographic capability to LOOK at the end result.  Why in the world would
 someone want to outlaw using that technology, and return to the old "let the
 three-man tribunal GUESS who won"????

 Technology has provided users with tape recorders, computers, data bases,
 and the like.  Why in the world would you want to outlaw using them.  Why
 not also outlaw narrow pass-band filters, or high yagi antennas, or WHATEVER.?

 I recall years ago a few professors in engineering school that gave "honor
system"
 examinations.....open book exams.  Take them home, finish them, and turn them
 in on Thursday....etc.  The smart guys got "A" grades, the others got lesser
 grades.  The 'work' field was level, all had the same opportunity to complete
 the work.  There were no rules against going to the library, or getting some
 'help' from the upper classmen, etc.  Do what you felt was appropriate to
finish
 your exam, then turn it in.

 Same aplies here.  Keep the field level.....and this is supposed to be an HONOR
 SYSTEM activity.  Keep it simple.  I would suggest that you will never arrive
 at a set of rules that will cover every contingency that can be imagined.
It's an
 "Open Book" exam, use all the technology available to you, then SUBMIT you
 logs for adjudication.

 73
 Dale  K5MM