[CQ-Contest] Re: Has the contest ended yet?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Has the contest ended yet?
From: w9wi@bellsouth.net (Doug Smith W9WI)
Date: Wed Jul 1 02:10:54 1998
Since everyone else has put in their $0.02 worth...

A couple of weeks ago, I wrote a draft "contest code of ethics" after our
Tennessee Contest Group's discussion suggested maybe such a thing should
exist.  What I don't think I mentioned was that I had a VERY hard time
coming up with a way of justifying the existance of Super Check Partial
without justifying single-op-unassisteds using packet.  They are, after all,
both methods of having other operators copy part of the exchange or call.

(do note..  that if your SCP database consists only of calls you entered
yourself, rather than of a list you grabbed from the 'Net or that came with
your software, that the ethical problem goes away..)

As for massaging one's log after the contest, I have no problem with that -
and in fact usually do it myself - *provided* any changes you make are based
on your own personal knowledge, and not on something you learned from
someone else after the contest period.  For example, in one recent DX test
(ARRL SSB, I think) I worked a rare multiplier; let's say 1S1XA.  After the
contest was over, I corrected a couple of calls that didn't work out
properly in the country file - while about halfway done, another local
contester called on the landline.  He asked "Did you get 1S1SA?", and after
discussion we agreed this was the same station I worked, and his call really
was 1S1SA.  I don't consider it ethical to use that information to correct
my log after the contest, and I didn't.

73 Doug