[CQ-Contest] Checking coax

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Checking coax
From: k4ro@k4ro.net (K4RO Kirk Pickering)
Date: Wed Jul 8 18:42:22 1998
I just installed several new runs of coax and hardline, and would
like to know what methods you use to check on your feedline's
condition.

W3LPL talked about this at Dayton a few years ago.
>From my notes, it went something like this:

1) Find a point where your SWR is very high (about 5:1)
2) Record this frequency
3) Check the SWR periodically at this frequency

If the SWR improves, your coax is *NOT* getting better. :-)

Do I have this right?  Are there other methods people use?
I'd like to run any tests now, while the installation is still
new.  The thinking is that I'll have some baseline data to compare
against in the future, to determine when something needs to be
replaced again.

If I have access to a Fluke TDM test unit for 50 ohm coax, what
measurements would be the most useful to make and record?

Thanks for any input.

-Kirk  K4RO