[CQ-Contest] Re: contesting with "small" antennas

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: contesting with "small" antennas
From: w4an@contesting.com (Bill Fisher - W4AN)
Date: Tue Jul 14 11:05:56 1998

Posted on TowerTalk by W7WHY:
> Seems like there are some pretty good scores out there with
> some pretty basic stations and antennas.

There are some VERY big scores from guys using nothing but 14g wire.
KT3Y and KQ2M are both scoring at the top of the list in the most
competitive categories and neither have a tower.

KQ2M IARU Score: 1,929,536 points

KQ2M Antennas:

10   Inv V @ 50'
15   4L @ 30' partially rotatable on roof tripod
20   Wire 3L NE @ 50' + Wire 3L West @ 50'
40   Wire 3L NE @ 55' + Wire 4 Square + Inv. @ 40'
80   Wire Inv. L 4 Square + Inv. V @ 55'
160  2L Phased Inv L's.

I was having a discussion with W1RR last night, and we both agreed that
FEELING loud is probably more important than actually being loud.
I'm sure both KQ2M and KT3Y operate the contest like they were operating
from a super station.

I wonder some times if all this aluminum is actually making me louder, or
I just feel louder.  Either way... it's fun to put up.