[CQ-Contest] Re: Call Signing

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Call Signing
From: TOMK5RC@aol.com (TOMK5RC@aol.com)
Date: Tue Jul 21 11:33:41 1998
In a message dated 7/21/98 8:45:37 AM Central Daylight Time,
w4an@contesting.com writes:

 >contact, this strongly indicates that your operating skills
 >have developed to the stage where you should indeed sign your
 >call after every contact.

 I signed K6T after each and every QSO during WRTC96.  I believe my partner
 did also.  Following Mr Norton's logic, one would assume that we would
 have finished at or near the bottom of the list.  We were #1 in QSO's.

 "George just lucky I guess"

 73

 W4AN

At the rates we have honed ourselves to, signing after each QSO is the only
logical argument I can see. S&P is a strategy for all, not a poor-man's place
who can't CQ or wants to be log fodder. I take great affront at having to
listen for 3-4 minutes until a DX station decides to sign his call. How many
dupes has he worked by then? How many mults have I missed because there wasn't
time to eat dinner waiting for someone to sign their call. When there were few
big stations and the CW did not all sound the same, by Sunday, you could
recognize a few signals and move on. Not any more. Even with band mapping,
most stations do not sit on one frequency for hours on end.

We might make an exception if K5KG ever goes back to K5KG/OH0/OJ0 for a
contest, but for the rest of you, why not use your call sign instead of TU or
QRZ? The deserving would be most appreciative and I'll bet you will replicate
Bill's experience at WRTC.

Tom, K5RC/7
aka K7GJ