[CQ-Contest] MacDonalds

Subject: [CQ-Contest] MacDonalds
From: ve5cma@hotmail.com (Doug Richardson)
Date: Fri Jul 31 08:47:20 1998
Trey wrote:
Yes, if there is some doubt about my order at the McDonalds drive
through window, I typically retransmit *my* information, not their
information.  Retransmitting the call of the DX station is like reaching
the head of the queue at McDonalds and then asking "Is this really
McDonalds?"  This might be useful as a last-ditch technique to save my
order, but it's not a practice I would use often.

----- snip -----
I must not have done a good job making this point.
It is not about communicating at the MacDonald's drive window. It is
about accuracy versus speed in general. It does customers no good that
MacDonalds are quick and effiencient getting your order out, IF THE
ORDER IS SCREWED UP. They are only quicker and more efficient at f***ing
up.

Like wise, it does contesters no good being "effcient" at exchange (by
excluding each stations' sign for example) if it results in busted
calls. We just got quicker and more effcient at screwing up too.
ACCURACY first, then speed. I won't send ur call when piling up to work
you (because you know who you are), but will in exchange b/c then u know
you're in my log, and in it correctly (you know I KNOW who you are).
Your call confirmation takes 2sec and saves dupes, busted calls and QSOs
logged that were meant for someone else. Net score is higher for both.

Look at the "Raw QSOs" versus the "Net QSOs" on contest summaries, and
imagine the positive impact on score if the time wasted on working dupes
that were busted once, and busted calls that don't make it though the
log check process were actually spent on valid Qs. This is the
"opportunity cost" of busted calls.