[CQ-Contest] CQ-WW-CW Date ??

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQ-WW-CW Date ??
From: ddjones@nas.com (Dale Jones K5MM)
Date: Sun Aug 2 12:32:42 1998
 Gents:
 Barry, W2UP, suggests changing the date of CQ-WW-CW to one that does not
 routinely fall on AMERICAN Thanksgiving.  Why in the hell do so many of
 you guys jump all over him for SUGGESTING that?

 It's an AMERICAN contest
 The AMERICAN's set the date in the first place.
 There just MIGHT be a better date for EVERYONE.
 Maybe it is a BAD idea to change that date, but for gods sake, it should
     be debated if someone wants to do so.
 I can tell you that the HALF of entrants who are American struggle with
    that date, primarily for Family reasons.
 The non-American guys certainly should have their say on when to best
    hold the contest

 BUT----just because the date has been there since 1849, doesn't seem to be
 a particularly good reason why it should continue to be there.  At the very
least,
 debate it openly and in good faith, without the sucky goody-goody attitudes!!

 73
 Dale  K5MM