JATKO:[CQ-Contest] CQ WW Scoring Pros and Cons(was: INNOVATIVE IDEA??)

Subject: JATKO:[CQ-Contest] CQ WW Scoring Pros and Cons(was: INNOVATIVE IDEA??)
From: timo.klimoff@ktm.vn.fi (Klimoff Timo)
Date: Mon Aug 3 11:15:27 1998
This is European, or to be exact, from OH's point of wiev (no
response from EU except mine so far here):

Ken Silverman:

>1) I think the biggest problem is that since all EU to EU QSOs will
count as
>3 points,  there will be little incentive for the EUs to work anyone
outside
>EU, and this will be more evident on the low bands.  This is very
similar to
>working the JAs in the CQ WW from zones 8, 9, etc...  you know the
JAs are
>in there, but are often weak and hard to work, so you focus on the
bigger
>signals.

PARTLY NO

On the low bands we are able to work only the handful of W's and JA's
sometimes pileup on 40mtrs. We will propably work those 2 to 50 Ws
anyway on 80mtrs, and of course we still need mults. On low bands EU
rate during the daytime is not so productive, believe me. I don't see
any difference here.

>2)  There will be little incentive for EU to work outside EU except
to work
>mults, and the strong USA signals.

NO.

At least during the sunspot maximum about 60 to 75 % of our qsos are
with W and JA. You can't work such a qso mass from EU (to replace it
anyhow). You still had to work everybody to win. And of course
nowadays all the big stations already had antennas for 2 or 3
directions ;=)

>3)  Issue 2 could lead the CQ WW into an American "SS" like contest
in EU,
>since EU to EU QSOs will all count 3 points (again, little incentive
to work
>DX, which is a main goal of this contest).

YES.

Europeans will more likely now beat K1AR and OH1XXX have a chance to
beat K3ZO.

>4)  In EU, the only stations that will likely have a chance of
breaking into
>world competition will be the Spanish (maybe Italians) since they are
the
>only EU stations that will be able to work EU on 10 and 15, since
most other
>inter-EU QSOs will not be in skip zone on those bands.

NO. (Kenny, welcome to OH1AF to work CQWW)

It is actually Scandinavians and such a remote places like 9H and IT9
and UA6 (perhaps SV5 and SV9 too?) who will get a benefit of qso
masses in G, DL, EA and I on 10-15-20 meters.

>5)  The main question is "Who will it benefit by changing the rules?"
>Problem with most of us (me included!!) is not being able to
understand the
>global perspective of any rule change.  The only stations that the
change
>will make any real difference to will be the Carib stations who would
have a
>better chance competing against zone 9, 10, 33, 35.  But those zones
will
>ALWAYS be blessed.  This rule might also help the S/E Asia stations
(all 10
>of the active ones) since they will have more incentive to work JA.

YES.

There should be more hardcore contesters going to place like NA
Caribbean and SE/Middle East Asia - more exotic countries available to
part-time operator. And plus, there should be more (some of them
available for low budget traveller) interesting competitive QTHs.
(Hmm...how about EA6 or 4X or TF?)

>6)  And no rule change on the table will help the JA's :(
Unfortunately,
>demographics played the JA contesters a lousy hand in this contest.

YES. Sad but true. Hopefully this will benefit JAs to get some more SE
Asian mults available for them to work.

The main reason, of course, why I(and propably many other
Scandinavians) support this change is the DX propagation advantage of
So/West Europeans (everyone wants to win hi!). It is the main factor
why OH will not ever win Europe in CQWW SOAB, MS or MM classes. Now I
would be possible, I think. (OH2HE - the future Eu MM winner - how
about Paksalo boys? ;=) )

73, Timo OH1NOA
PS. Change or not, see you in the next one!
                Timo Klimoff

Email:          timo.klimoff@ktm.vn.fi
or              oh1noa@qsl.net
WWW-homepage:   http://www.qsl.net/oh1noa
"Don't trust a man wearing a better suit than yours"