[CQ-Contest] CQWW scoring change

Subject: [CQ-Contest] CQWW scoring change
From: K4BAI@worldnet.att.net (John T. Laney, III)
Date: Mon Aug 3 11:54:01 1998
Hello all: Bill Fisher is right.  I am in favor of the scoring change
proposed by Jim Neiger.  His example of 8P6J vs 9Y4 is exactly what I
have faced in the Caribbean ever since I lost my opportunity to operate
from a 3-point country (PJ2) after 1982.  I will stilll go for the fun
regardless of the scoring, but I do think the proposed score change
would encourage others to go to places like that.
        Just in case no one has told Rusty, NA5TR, the scoring scheme you
suggest was what was used for CQWW for many years and was what was used
during my first North American expedition in 1967 (to TG).  The change
to give inter-North American country QSOs 2 points rather than 1 was
made later, probably in th 1970s?  Some historian can tell us the exact
date.  The reason was to encourage expeditions to other North American
countries and it worked.  The present suggestion will probably encourage
more activity from the Caribbean and other similarly situated areas.
And you will still be able to have fun and compete for the world records
from P4, PJ2, HC8, and West Africa.  The outcome won't be quite as
certain as before.  73, John, K4BAI/8P9HT (cw opr 8P9Z).