[CQ-Contest] WW QSO points

Subject: [CQ-Contest] WW QSO points
From: scace@UU.NET (Eric Scace)
Date: Tue Aug 4 07:25:48 1998
   I like N6TJ's idea: 0 points for QSOs with your own country, 3 points
otherwise.

   But... I like N0AX's idea MUCH better: 0 points for QSOs within your own
zone, 3 points otherwise.  Here are some reasons why:

1. Here in Russia, there are a lot of zones... and many of them are far away
from any other country.  A zone-based rule would be more attractive and
encourage more zone-expeditions.  Similarly, activity in Australia could
increase significantly if a zone-based system (rather than country based) were
permitted.

2. N0AX's zone-based system would also help reduce the likely tendency of
Europeans to work mostly other very-local Europeans on the lower bands
(especially 40m SSB).

3. And in the USA, the black hole would be no more... although W0's would still
have to work very hard to meet the multiplier levels necessary to win.

   I think this would be a great stimulus the an already fine contest.  This
idea should be tried one year!

-- Eric  R3/K3NA