[CQ-Contest] NAQP Power Levels

Subject: [CQ-Contest] NAQP Power Levels
From: aa4lr@radio.org (Bill Coleman AA4LR)
Date: Thu Aug 6 10:26:50 1998
On 8/5/98 3:27 PM, K4RO Kirk Pickering at k4ro@k4ro.net wrote:

>I still feel that NAQP is an exciter only contest, and I choose
>to never use an amplifier in any low power entry, whether it's
>NAQP or any other contest.

You know, this practice of running an amplifier to acheive 150W (or 100W)
output isn't so uncommon in RTTY contests. With RTTY, the duty cycle is
higher, so many transceivers are hard-pressed to acheive full output.
With final transistors at their limits, the likelihood of failure is
higher. Running an external amplifier allows the exciter and amp to loaf
along.

>Maybe now that a Real Big Gun has proposed the idea, the
>response attitude will be different.  I don't still don't
>think amps belong in the NAQP, and I support W4AN's suggestion.

As a perpetual low-power operator, I tend to agree. I think the benefit
of running an amplifier to acheive the "full" 150W is purely
psycological. If you think you are loud, you are loud. This may be
particularly true for ops who otherwise always run in the high power
category.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901