[CQ-Contest] Re:Power

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re:Power
From: k4oj@ij.net (Jim White, K4OJ)
Date: Sat Aug 8 07:32:49 1998
...his name may be Rusty but his thought processes are not, NA5TR wrote:

"If an op has a radio with an internal amp capable of putting out 150W, why
should that be morally superior to using an external amp for the same
purpose?"

Heah - this relatively newbie dude has hit on something you olde farts have
skirted......and what about homebrewing a new final stage for my Kenwood
rig - something with some hefty solid state devices, you know like those no
tune 500 watt JA linears use....I would be only running my
transceiver....THIS IS NOT WHAT THIS IS REALLLY ABOUT.

Rusty has indirectly hit on what the whole point of my personal postings of
late has been:

It is not the radio/amp that is doing the cheating it is the operator!

(National Radio Association, hi!)

If someone enters into a competition where the rules say that you should
run 150 watts...and he runs 150 watts...he is in compliance with the rules.
 It don't matter how he does it..fact is HE IS NOT CHEATING.

Now if you would be tempted to goose the drive up a little and mebbe run a
"little more" output - you are in violation of the rules, you know the ones
you followed - the ones referenced in that paragraph next to where you
signed on your summary sheet...the paragraph that states:

I HAVE ABIDED BY THE RULES OF THE CONTEST

If you cheat...you cheat...and if you cheat and then sign the sheet that
says you didn't you are a liar, too!

I have found this weeks e-mail interesting in that there is so much focus
on 100W versus 150W and the implications of someone mebbe running more than
150 W.

WHY IN THE HELL ISN'T THIS MUCH CONCERN MADE OVER WHEN THERE IS IN EXCESS
OF 1500 WATTS USED?????????????????

THIS IS NOT ONLY A VIOLATION OF THE CONTEST RULES BUT A VIOLATION OF A US
HAMS FCC LICENSE RESTRICTIONS.

YET THIS IS WAY TOO OFTEN LAUGHED OFF...AND EVERYONE SEEMS TO KNOW SOMEONE
WHO RUNS SOUP.

A lot of banter about the NAQP and 100 versus 150 watts has passed through
the e-mailbox this week.

My opinion of one ham went in the sewer years ago when in a forum at
Visalia there was a question asked of the group "so how many of you have
run more than 1000 Watts" (this was a while back) and this one guy said
"sure, I've done it" - AND THEN, he went on to say that not only had he
done it, but had consistently done it.  I used to think highly of him
because he was a good operator...but I was not the first ham that was
"conned" by a very good operator...

Now I am older and I know better.

Obviously "you all" (that's suthrin) are concerned about someone breaking
the rules.

THIS IS GREAT.  PEER PRESSURE WORKS  ** BUT**  ONLY WHEN APPLIED!

How about we all use this same amount of zeal in keeping our fellow
contesting peers at 1500 Watts in the other competitions?  I suspect there
is a hell of a lot more abuse of this nature than there is in the NAQP.

Better yet....HOW ABOUT WE ALL ASK EACH OTHER AS FELLOW COMPETITORS TO
ABIDE BY THE RULES OF THE CONTESTS...BE IT POWER LIMITATIONS, LICENSE CLASS
LIMITATIONS, NOT USING PACKET WHEN CLAIMING TO BE A SINGLE OP ENTRY.....

THIS - is what we should expect of each other....AND NOTHING
LESS.....PERIOD

AR

73,

Jim, K4OJ

Florida Contest Group - visit our website at:

http://www.4w.com/deemer/fcg.htm

The Florida Contest Group sponsors the Florida QSO Party, check out the FQP
website@:

http://home1.gte.net/wd4ahz/fcg/ssqp.htm