[CQ-Contest] Newby Help

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Newby Help
From: trey@kkn.net (Trey Garlough)
Date: Mon Nov 2 09:43:49 1998
> OK, I'm new to this contest stuff and I found I am not prepared.  I
> was going to run in the CQWW but the day of the event I found I
> didn't know what my CQ Zone was.  Now I'm looking at Sweepstakes and
> I need to find out my Section (I think its Colorado based on the
> contest article in Worldradio but I'm not sure).  For SS do I send
> Colorado or CO in CW (it's got to be CO, PLEASE!!!).  Is there a web
> site that gives this type of things?  I would like to know all the
> CQ Zones (so I know where I'm talking to next year) and the SS
> Sections for the same reason.

> Also, what other contests are out there that require items I wasn't
> born to know and where can I find them?

Surf around the general vicinity of www.arrl.org/contests and there
you will find good stuff like ARRL contest rules (like for
Sweepstakes).  There is even a link on the bottom of the page called
ARRL Section Abbreviations that would tell you that the contest
abbreviation for Colorado is CO.

Secondly I suggest that you run, not walk, to

        www.arrl.org/catalog

and order The ARRL Operating Manual -- a tremendous resource.  If you
are interested in on-the-air activities such as contesting and chasing
DX, it will be the best $25 you ever spent.

--Trey, N5KO