[CQ-Contest] Re: 2 receiver 'noise cancelling'

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: 2 receiver 'noise cancelling'
From: gm4sid@compuserve.com (Sidney Will)
Date: Tue Nov 3 02:29:02 1998
Further on the use of two antennas and two receivers of the FT-1000D
together to provide a kind of diversity reception, all that remains is to
track the tuning of the two receivers together.

It has been done.

Use a small two-changeover relay and control it using the DIM button on the
front panel of the FT-1000D.  When the button is 'in' the tuning data from
the main VFO (VFO-A) is connected in parallel to the inputs of both
receivers. (Of course, you have to dispense with the DIM facility but this
is no great loss - I never used it, do you?).
Provided you equalise the frequency (press A>B) on both before you press
DIM the two will stay in step when you tune V FO-A from spinning the knob
to just 'easing' it round.  VFO-B is disabled.   So the technique can be
used when in hunt and pounce as well as when you are on a spot frequency.
You can even set one receiver a few Hz higher than the other and get a
mixed note, not unlike the MCW used by merchant ships many years ago.

With DIM out, everything returns to normal.

If you need to know how, e-mail me, it is all typed up in Word 6.

73  de  Sid   GM4SID@compuserve.com