[CQ-Contest] 1998 SS CW - Are they all Multi's?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 1998 SS CW - Are they all Multi's?
From: w9sz@prairienet.org (Zack Widup)
Date: Wed Nov 11 17:25:04 1998
On Wed, 11 Nov 1998 kh6nd@lava.net wrote:

> Okay, Hank.......you're the self professed packet expert.
>
> Why don't you explain to me and the rest of this group how my call could
> have landed on your hit list, when I never sent, received, solicited, or
> looked at any packet spots during the entire 98 CW SS.
>
> Some of us still like to do it the old fashioned way.
>
> Mike
> KH6ND

Maybe there's someone who either didn't like you, or, misinformed, sent a
spot for you.

All one needs to do is type "DX/KH6ND 14000.0 need NNY" and a spot will
go out with the KH6ND callsign on it instead of the sending station's call.

I guess this was originally set up as a courtesy thing.  You hear W1XYZ
work a DX station; since he found him first, you can spot the DX with
W1XYZ's call as the first "spotter" of the DX.  But it lends itself to
abuse as someone uses someone else's call to insinuate that person is
connected to packet, etc.  Just goes to show you can't even prove
anything about packetcluster by examining the calls of the stations
soliciting QSO's.  They MAY be fake.

73, Zack W9SZ