[CQ-Contest] QSO B4... NO YOU DIDN'T!

Subject: [CQ-Contest] QSO B4... NO YOU DIDN'T!
From: n0ss@socket.net (Tom Hammond)
Date: Mon Dec 7 08:56:28 1998
Maybe this has shown up before.  If it has, I've missed it.

WA8YRS sez...

>HE DID NOT WORK ME!  Best guess is that he heard me call someone
>else close to his frequency and thought I was talking to him, but
>when I searched @ pounced I sent the call of the station I worked
>just to try to avoid this!!!! (at least for the first 10 hours)
>I had 12 dupes in my log.... Didn't hurt a thing.  It is much
>faster to work em and forget them.  At least I know I am in their
>log!!!!

This brings up a questions that I've (kinda) worried about for a
while...

Having a Q 'in the log' is fine, BUT does it matter if it's 'in
the log' at the RIGHT DATE/TIME...???

What if the guy who thinks you're a dupe has you in his log on
12/07 (the date when you did NOT work him) and he (really) works
you again on 12/08 as a courtesy to you because you say he's not
on YOUR log.  Now, when he does a post-contest cleanup, his
software marks the 12/08 Q as a DUPE and removes(!) it from his
log.

So, you both sumbit your logs following the contest.  But your
Q's are at differing dates/times.  How does the contest committee
reconcile this?  Do they toss BOTH Q's and possibly penalize both
ops for busted Q's?  Or do they 'assume' that your (later) Q's
was the result of an attempt to work the guy you really didn't
work previously?  Or do they just match callsigns without regard
to date/time worked?

I too have experienced the "QSO B4" problem and have wondered how
it was gonna be handled in the long run.  There's a possibility that
ateempting to change the guy's mind might actually wind up penalizing
both ops.

73 - Tom Hammond   N0SS