[CQ-Contest] RE: W5ASP fears the "NIL"

Subject: [CQ-Contest] RE: W5ASP fears the "NIL"
From: n6tr@teleport.com (n6tr@teleport.com)
Date: Wed Mar 3 12:46:46 1999
W5ASP writes:

<< And what concerns me more is the ominous possibility that the eager "log
 checker", operating under the new ARRL enhanced procedures, is going to
 misinterpret some of the duped Qs.  I would hope that if I was duped because
 my call was "busted" the first time around, I won't be charge with a NIL. >>

So - I can speak to this - at least in terms of the SS contest.  As
some of you know, Trey and I have been implementing a new checking
process for the SS contest.

The software used is very similar to the log checking software used
for the sprint contests - however, totally rewritten for the SS.

The software attempts to do everything we can think of to not create
inappropriate NIL QSOs.  It can be very complicated.

In the case of not being in the log for the first QSO, but appearing
in the log for the second QSO, the program will mark the first QSO
as a "DUPE" and use the second QSO for the cross check.  This should
result in the cross check being successful.

Trey and I are going to work on some NCJ articles to talk about some
of the changes - and interesting results from them.  For those of you
who submitted electronic logs, a report file will be made available
detailing exactly how your log was scored.  I understand these will
be distributed through the ARRL web page.  An announcement will be made
to this reflector when they are available.

73 Tree N6TR
tree@contesting.com