[CQ-Contest] Removing QSOs from TX Log

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Removing QSOs from TX Log
From: k0rx@solon.eng.uiowa.edu (David R. Andersen)
Date: Tue Mar 9 09:51:34 1999
I had an interesting experience during ARRL DX CW that bears on this
logchecking discussion.  In particular, I am concerned about removing
busted qsos from the TX station's log if the callsigns are not a required
part of the exchange.

I operated K0XG, from Fulton, IL 15m SOSB.  Fulton is about 10 miles east
of the Mississippi River, on the far western edge of Illinois.  As most
of you know, this qth is in the ARRL Central Division and the 9th Call
Area of the US.

I spent most of the contest calling CQ.  On occasion, I would get a responder
who had my call as K9XG.  In these cases, I always tried to correct my
call.  The qsos sounded approximately like this:

xg:TEST K0XG

xx:DX0XX

xg:DX0XX 5NN IL

xx:K9XG 5NN KW

xg:DE K0XG K0XG QSL?

xx:TU

Did he get my callsign correct or not?  Shortly after he sent the TU, he
spun the dial, so no more interaction was possible.

And then, of course there are those who didn't send my callsign at all.

xg:TEST K0XG

xx:DX0XX

xg:DX0XX 5NN IL

xx:5NN KW TU

I think if the TX station is going to be penalized when his callsign is
busted in the RX station's log, it must be a required part of the exchange.
Otherwise, how will the TX station know what the RX station copied?

The reason I bring this up is that one of the log-checkers for SS made
the comment that he wasn't ready to remove busted qsos from the TX log this
year, but "maybe next year."  In my opinion, this is not a good idea, unless
the TX station's callsign is a required part of the exchange.

73
Dave K0RX