[CQ-Contest] I need Info

Subject: [CQ-Contest] I need Info
From: dennisv@qualcomm.com (Dennis Vernacchia)
Date: Sat Mar 13 00:28:13 1999
Juan,
        I rebuilt several Drake Power Supplies recently.
You do not want to buy the old capacitor types that
are presently in your L-4B supply. One source I know wants
$50 U.S. each ($400 total) for those and the technology
is very old.
        There are much less expensive ones with better technology
and low ESR available. Here's the ones I used.
They are much smaller and have the leads coming off one end
instead of one lead on each end. I drill some holes into
the existing boards that hold them and secured them with
Nylon tie wraps. Then I just soldered flexibel wire leads to
the one end of the capacitors and routed the leads where they needed
to connect.
        If you replace all the silicon diodes, which would be a good
idea as they're very inexpensive, do not install the equalizing
resistors and ceramic capacitors across the diodes. I have read
from several sources the equalizing components do more harm than
good with the latest technology HV diodes.

For export to South America order from

Newark Electronics
7500 Viscount Ave
El Paso, Texas 79925
Tel (915) 772-6367
FAX (915) 772-3192
http://www.newark.com

United Chemicon-Marcon Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor

Newark Part Number - 95F4421
Mfr Part Number - 82DA221DA450KC2D

Price $5.32 each U.S.

Size of these capacitors are 1.18" (30mm) Diameter X 1.38" (35mm) length

It's hard to believe this small capacitor will replace those
hugh firecracker sticks in your current supply but capacitor
technology has come a long way the past 25 years since the
L-4B hit the market !

73, Dennis N6KI