[CQ-Contest] FT-920 advice- Thanks

Subject: [CQ-Contest] FT-920 advice- Thanks
From: miltj@aepnet.com (Milt Jensen, N5IA)
Date: Thu Mar 18 20:50:38 1999
Bill,
        One of the transceivers provided by Yaesu for the XZ1N DXpedition
to Myanmar last fall was the FT-920.
        In brief, no member of the seasoned group of operators was
impressed by the operation or    of the FT-920.
        To start with, the unit does not have VOX.  The only way to key the
radio without the hand microphone is the front panel MOX button.  We were
using headsets with boom mikes so the hands would be free to computer
keyboard log, etc.  In order to get this radio on the air on SSB, we had to
sandwich a J-38 hand key between two heavy pieces of cardboard and hold it
together with duct tape to make a foot switch.
        It does not have any extra filters or facility for adding extra
filters. This lack was extremely evident during the CQ WW CW contest and
the many times this radio was used on CW during the tree week stint in Yangon.
        Don't read this wrong.  It is a decent, all in one radio.  We made
over 300 6 meter contacts with it, both SSB and CW.  And it made perhaps
6,000 SSB contacts and 4,000 CW contacts on 20, 17, 15, 12, & 10 Meters.
It was never used on 160, 80, or 40 Meters as it has no facility for a
separate receive antenna input.
        I would not recommend this transceiver as a serious DXpedition
radio nor as a serious contest radio.
        If you would like a deeper analysis of various other deficiencies
and shortcomings, E-mail me and I will put you in touch with the individual
that did the in depth wring out of the radio.  This includes the CW and
computer interface, the receiver analysis, and the amplifier interface.
        73, es GL de Milt, N5IA