[CQ-Contest] I was a joke in WPX.

Subject: [CQ-Contest] I was a joke in WPX.
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Wed Mar 31 10:01:38 1999
In my email to RU1A I asked:

 > I wonder why RU1A 160m operator refused to work me (VA1A) or give me a
 > number in wpx ssb?
 >       Yuri Blanarovich, VE3BMV, VE1BY, ex OK3BU
 >        op of VA1A  - Tesla RC

Then I got this reply:

"We must apologize for the situation, which seems to be quite unusual: the
 operator on 160 thought, that such a strong Russian speaking station made a
 joke with him. The "jokes" are often occur in our country during contests.
 After receiving your e-mail we have checked the log and asked the operator
 to make the situation clear. We really sorry for loosing the multiplier VA1
 due to that clumsy misunderstanding. Hope  to QSO you next time.
 Yours Alex M. Elizarov RN1AM "

What happened:
I hear precious multiplier RU1A, call him, "VA1A", he says
"VA1A, Where are you, what's your kontry?"
I say: "Canada,  Kaaaanaaaaadaa"   "Viktor Amerika One Amerika you are Fie Nie
Seventyyy Treeee"
He comes back: "Please QSY, Seventy tri, QRZ contest"

I try again with my "normal" call VE1BY, thinking that VA1A might be
undigestable, trying to engage the operator in Russian, hoping to get some
explanation, got same thing. I had no other weapons at my disposal, so I moved
on, spent 15 minutes calling to get attention of EA4ML, who was 20 over 9.

Notice to my U-something friends:
I will be again QRV in WPX CW on 160m only with the same call - VA1A, from
portable QTH sticking into the ocean (biiiig signal). Anyone who refuses to
work me, might get the visit from my Chechen friends before the contest is
over, over (watch your antennas and guy wires!). Those who work me (5
stations), will have a chance to win special Tee Shirt with: "VA1A is no joke,
I worked him" (and have this T Shirt to prove it.)

And some thought that one pointer QSOs would kill WPX!

Thanks to all those who didn't think I was a joke, persisted through static
crashes, worked me and made my trip to VE1-land otherwise fun and enjoyable.
Special QSL cards for VA1A QSOs to commemorate 90th anniversary of the first
airplane - Silver Dart flight in British Empire in Baddock, Nova Scotia will
be sent via buro to all who worked VA1A. [Also cards for 1998 CQ WW CW VA1A
160m operation (60 years of Bluenose schooner's last victory) are going 100%
via buro.]
(Could this be for RU1A "unsportsman-like behaviour" and possible cause for
DQ?)

This operation most likely closes chapter on my operating from super QTH of
VE1ZZ, I will be gearing up for portable setup operation from new ocean front
location in Nova Scotia. Jack's place is getting crowded with noisy (RFI)
neighbors, time to move on to take advantage of some natural terrain features,
ocean and no RFI. I hope to be ready and see you all in WPX CW, maybe I can
beat my (VE3BMV) 1986 NA record?

73  Yuri  -  "the joker"
one of Tesla RC Radio Sparks