[CQ-Contest] 40m SSB

Subject: [CQ-Contest] 40m SSB
From: K4BAI@worldnet.att.net (John T. Laney, III)
Date: Wed Mar 31 10:47:16 1999
Hi Bruce:  There was a time years ago when there was a lot of Phone (AM
and early SSB) between 7100 and 7200 (the lower USA band limit then).  I
remember many North American DX stations working there and listening
above 7200.  I seem to remember on my one CQ SSB DXpedition to the
Caribbean (VP7BL(?)) in 1971 that we still were able to work split with
a lot of QSOs while transmitting above 7100.  I guess that was before
there were a lot of European stations with capability of working across
the Atlantic on 40 Phone.  I'd like to see (and this would be especially
practical in the ARRL DX Contests where DX to DX QSOs don't count) the
stations who have SSB privileges above 7100 using those frequencies.  I
know that if a loud station was working on 7101 or 7102 or 7103, I'd
hear him and tune up and work him.  And if I found that there was one up
there, I might tune up higher and find another one, etc.  This could
partially solve the problem of QRM in the SSB contests between 7040 and
7100.  So, what say?  Next SSB DX Contest when guys in ZF, CO, C6, and
other areas who are permitted to transmit SSB above 7100, try to do it
moving up from 7100 and see if we USA guys don't catch on.  Your
transmit frequency should be relatively clear of other SSB QRM.  73,
John, K4BAI.