[CQ-Contest] Help on choice of CW Narrow filter

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Help on choice of CW Narrow filter
From: w7why@harborside.com (Tom Osborne)
Date: Thu Apr 15 16:58:00 1999

Pedro Pedroso wrote:
 At first I thought that the 250Hz would be the best one, but on
>second thoughts maybe it is too narrow and it would not let me
>hear operators that are not so well tuned on my frequency but
>still are trying to answer my call.

HI Pedro.

When I had my FT-102, it came with a 500 cycle filter in it.  It
worked good for casual operating, and I thought it was just what
I needed.  When I got into my first CW contest with that filter,
I soon found it was too wide.  I replaced it with a 250 cycle
filter, and it was much better.  I have a 500 cycle filter in my
FT-840, and when contesting, I sure wish I had a 250 cycle
filter.  73

Tom W7WHY