[CQ-Contest] Re: Choice of CW Narrow filters

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: Choice of CW Narrow filters
From: sdelling@facstaff.wisc.edu (Scott Ellington)
Date: Fri Apr 16 10:50:56 1999
Barry Kutner wrote:

> As far as squeezing in between stations using 250 Hz filters, ponder
> this: YOU may be okay copying the other guy. But, how many of the
> third and fourth tier EUs (the bread and butter for us E. coasters)
> also have 250 Hz filters to copy YOU just above or below  W3LPL, K1AR,
> N3RS, etc?
> 73 Barry

If you are getting answers to your CQ's, it can't be a big problem.  Good
point, though.  It's certainly preferable to have a wider clear bandwidth, but
not always possible on a crowded band.

However, when using the narrow filter adjacent to some strong stations, I am
frequently asked to QSY by one of them, even though he isn't bothering me.
The only reason I'm there, of course,  is that I couldn't find a clear spot
wide enough for the 500 Hz filter.  So, am I obligated to move, or not?

73,

Scott  K9MA
--

Scott Ellington