[CQ-Contest] Another Poisson d'Avril?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Another Poisson d'Avril?
From: alan@es.com (alan@es.com)
Date: Wed Apr 21 09:28:10 1999
Before any of you think that I had anything to do with this, I assure you
that I didn't.

There is a small local club up in Northern Utah called the UBET (Utah Box
Elder-Thiokol) Radio Club. Most of the members of UBET work for
Morton-Thiokol Corporation which is the prime contractor for the solid fuel
rockets which are used to launch the Space Shuttles.

I had heard something about this contest but did not know about any of the
details until it was announced in the pages of QST. About the only
contesting that any of these folks ever did was field day, to my knowledge.
It is possible that some of them may have ever sent a log in for some other
event, but I am not aware of it. They are just far enough away from me that
I would not usually hear them except on the low bands. None of them are
members of the Utah Contest Club which has been recently resurrected.

As you can see by reading the rules, they have their own ideas about how a
contest should be formatted and scheduled. They probably didn't even realize
that the contest calendar is already full. I doubt that this contest will
have much of an impact on the activity in the already established for many
years CQ-M event, or the other QSO parties which are also scheduled.

Good luck.

Alan, KO7X