[CQ-Contest] Re: LAX is not LA

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Re: LAX is not LA
From: rbowen@iglobal.net (Ralph Bowen)
Date: Mon Apr 26 00:10:48 1999
I always thought part of contesting was to develop an edge over the
competition.  In my younger days I made it a point to learn the CORRECT
abbreviations for the names used by the inhabitants to describe their sections.
It doesn't matter that I'm not from California, or wherever.  It's like learning
the code.   When I hear "dih-dah" my brain says "A".   When I hear Sacramento
Valley, Sac-Valley, Sugar Victor, or any variation thereof, my brain says "SV".
When I hear Los Angeles, my brain says "LAX",  New York City = NLI,  Southern
Jersey = SNJ, etc.

Just a matter of learning the language of the trade.   Jim (N6IG): unless you're
wiped out by interference, I won't have to ask you for your section again - and
it will be correct in my log!!

73,  Gator  N5RZ