[CQ-Contest] Sctns, abrviatns, et al

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Sctns, abrviatns, et al
From: tim.k9tm@totalink.net (Tim Mitchell)
Date: Wed Apr 28 19:16:19 1999
I understand the theory but... (Bill don't take it personal, just another
view)

So where does it stop ?

Do we throw out cw as the characters have variable elements per letter ?

Since people seem to struggle with s and h especially in a grouping... do we
not allow s and h combos ?

For an SSB contest do we make people use phonetics that are all the same
number of syllables ?

Do we make everyone have the same type of call ?  What would it be 1x2, 2x1,
2x3 ???  Since we can't have section abbreviations that have the same
characters why should callsigns be different (W8AB and W8ABC would not be
allowed) ?

Does everyone have to send their number as 4 digits ?  Are you going to
disallow sending shortcuts for numbers (T=0, A=1, N=9, etc), that would make
the numbers be variable length on cw ?

If too many people keep asking me for my section, I assume one of a couple
of things: I am not sufficiently loud, I have reached a new level of QSO's
which are marginal, I am sending it in a way that could be improved, etc.

The bottom line is that by nature a contest has errors.  The winners manage
their errors better than anyone else.  I don't think it is broken therefore
I don't think it needs to be fixed.  The only thing broken is the human and
much of the fun of contesting is pushing ones self to be better and creating
ways to make yourself/station better.

73 Tim K9TM