[CQ-Contest] Error detection and correction proposal

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Error detection and correction proposal
From: AD6E@aol.com (AD6E@aol.com)
Date: Fri Apr 30 15:38:17 1999
Kellys' comment gets me thinking a bit.  One of the reasons SS is a favorite
contest is that is actually requires sending/receiving real data.  I liked it
better when your birthday was part of the exchange too, but I'm not proposing
to revive that.

Our hobby is based on providing a public service to the community in the form
of backup communications which we all take seriously.  CW and even SSB are
indeed very out of date modes, but they are fun and CW at least can be
justified because it takes very simple equipment. If we wanted to be
up-to-date, we'd all be using 512kb/s partial response modems with Viterbi
coding centered on 14230 :)  using slotted Ahoha packet protocall through
ARRL hubs.

Ok, I got a little off the subject... sorry.

While sampling great quantities of Tied House beer at the NCCC hospitality
room in Fresno a couple weeks ago, I joined N6NZ and W6OAT in a discussion of
error correction in a contest by using a checksum character as part of the
exchange.

Going back to the SS exchange, the "check" comes from traffic handling and
refers to the number of words in the message. This was a crude form of error
checking and has nothing to do with when you were first licensed.

Given that most of us use computers to log with anyway, it would be very
simple to generate a checksum character (one alpha-numeric character) based
on the transmitted exchange. With serial numbers in the exchange the check
sum would change for each QSO, modulo 36 (or modulo 1296 if two characters
are used). Of course we would all have to agree with the formula to generate
this checksum, and figure out a way for paper loggers to tell us that they
havn't the foggiest idea of what their checksum should be.

If the transmitted exchange includes this checksum, then when we copy the
other guys exchange our computer calculates a local checksum value and warns
us if theres an error in what we copied. This is done in real time so we can
easily go back to the other guy and ask for fills until the checksum matches
what was received.

Thus error free contesting. Those who want to save time and ignore the
checksum can certainly do so... at their peril.

Application of this idea is obvious in SS, but Rusty and Dave thought the
Sprints might be a better place to start this because of the higher
probability of both guys in a given QSO using computers.

I don't see all the traffic on this reflector so if this is an old idea I
appoligize in advance.

73, Al  AD6E
AD6E@aol.com