[CQ-Contest] Error detection and correction proposal

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Error detection and correction proposal
From: AD6E@aol.com (AD6E@aol.com)
Date: Sat May 1 14:48:29 1999
Hi Ed,

Thanks for the note (no offence taken).  I often throw things out with a bit
of tounge-in-cheek if only to make a point.

However, I do take seriously the "backup communications" responsibility. The
public hearing for my tower permit here in San Jose was the day after the
Loma Prieta earthquake. I was swamped for a week with red cross H&W traffic.
(I had an illegal HF antenna on a TV mast before the tower). The unfortunate
part of it is the local govt doesn't take us seriously.

With regard to the check sum, I still think it would be fun to try. It could
be ignored by those who don't want to deal with something new, but would be a
fairly easy way to tell if *something* was mis-copied in time to ask for a
repeat.  My point in talking about the old days of traffic handling was
simply to point out that real "traffic" uses a form of check sum called the
"check". Its been that way for over a century.

I don't mean to discount good copying ability (I lost 5% in SS). However, the
purpose of any QSO is to get the message across accurately and quickly. Using
a check simply improves the accuracy. I expect the debate would be more along
the lines of taking too much time given the pretty good accuracy of most
contesters, even if we are only talking about one extra letter.

73, AL  AD6E
AD6E@aol.com