[CQ-Contest] time for a massage?

Subject: [CQ-Contest] time for a massage?
From: k2av@qsl.net (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Thu May 6 16:36:00 1999
On Thu, 6 May 1999 07:27:40 -0400, you wrote:

>familiar fodder on this reflector....
>
>"After the contest is over I read the log and correct those obvious
>typos. "

I don't find this at all easy to do. Oh, there may be a few that I
could pick up as obvious fixes. 4, 5 maybe. But I find I have
suspicions about a lot of calls. The problem is that I have little to
point me in the right direction.

If I had it right in my head and wrong in my fingers, that's
essentially unrecoverable. It's ruined and I can either leave it like
I typed it, or zero-point it to avoid the possibility of penalty. But
I don't have the information to make this decision either. So why
bother?

The only real opportunity to get it right is during the contest,
keeping my head on the contest at hand, eg qrt the frequency if the
wife comes upstairs for something or quick write down the call &
exchange if the keyboard is bolexed. I find that if I have to
"recycle" the contact in the logging program, that I am very likely to
forget the call in the process, especially toward the end of the
contest.

Given log crosschecking, I really doubt there is that much to be done
*afterward* that will *improve* a score. The patterns of errors
discovered in the log checking will give good clues on how to improve
it for the *next* time

An exception to this, of course, is recording and checking the contest
afterward. But then, does such a person really have a life?

It's hard enough to keep one's head in a contest for it's length, but
do it over again after the fact listening to tape? I get a headache
just thinking about it. Think I'd rather mow the grass.

73, y'all

73, Guy
--. .-..

Guy Olinger, K2AV