[CQ-Contest] Other layout considerations

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Other layout considerations
From: kl7ra@icefog.gcgo.nasa.gov (KL7RA Fairbanks Alaska)
Date: Fri May 7 10:44:59 1999
SO2R station layout can be frustrating. Many years ago I ran two
830 radios side by side and don't remember having problems. I used
the two radios to make super quick band changes as I never had the
imagination to tune one while the other was cqing. The only thing
necessary was moving the paddle from one side of the log to the
other as a column filled in.

Today we have a keyboard, monitor and paddle to fuss with. I can
stroke (this is not touch typing) in a call with my right hand but
do a Coast Guard style search and rescue "zone" search if I use my
left. This leaves me to use the left hand to run the radio which I
prefer.

The two Icom radios I use for SO2R have the tuning knob right of
center. This puts one out of reach of my left hand and I end up
using radio A over radio B if they are side by side. If one is on
top of the other I have a problem with "distance" and again use
radio A over B. It seems that Icom could make a "left hand" version
of this model, but that's not going to happen in my life time.

The option of using one for rate and the other for s/p doesn't work
with me. I only have two modes here. Either no one is calling (most
of the time) or a lot are calling and I need to "work" the knobs to
sort out the pile.

So far the best solution has been the "L" shaped desk. The radios
are side by side at a slight angle on the desk and the monitor and
keyboard is on the right extension. I face the monitor and the
radios are "wrapped" to my left. The contesting web site had a
photo of N3HXQ/KL7 a few months ago showing the layout.

All of this may seem trivial to some, but there are folks that earn
their living working on panel/equipment layout. Maybe the person
that did the B1 bomber cockpit could help.

But for now I will call on our Good Doctor, with the Green Hornet,
and a flask of black Jack, by mornings light over Dayton we will
have pondered a solution. I will report the results.

Rich  KL7RA