[CQ-Contest] Checking your entry

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Checking your entry
From: thompson@pcsoftintl.com (Randy Thompson)
Date: Fri May 7 10:28:33 1999
Every year we hear the complaint about how much time is spent with badly
formatted e-logs -- and even more now that the log checking process is
actually trying to automate.

The ARRL (and CQ) need to rigidly specify a file format and then force
people to use it.  We are talking about flat ASCII files that are easy to
create.  There is no reason all of the logging packages can't generate
identical .LOG files. So, why don't they?

Because when neither contest committee has ever issued a firm directive as
to exactly what they want.  Instead, they write their own conversion
utilities and deal with the problem.  Then complain about how much time is
wasted.

One the same note, I would recommend that they issue a specification for
summary sheet information as well.  This way a computer program could be
written to extract the necessary summary information and save another batch
of typos and errors.  Look at the 1040PC form the IRS now uses as an
example.

I realize that even with these measures, many logs would still need work.
But the goal should be to move the log submission and checking process to be
fully automated.  And the only way this can happen is to standardize the
input data.

Randy, K5ZD