[CQ-Contest] Penalties and Busted Calls

Subject: [CQ-Contest] Penalties and Busted Calls
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Mon May 10 13:11:30 1999
>>Agree. I defy anyone to discern my zero from the letter "oh" in
>>pencil. This error has nothing to do with operating skill, rather an
>>issue of typing skill. Don't think touch typing drills are part of the
>>test.

Well, as for the handwriting question, one checker already said that if
it can't be read, the QSO doesn't count.  So wether your type a zero as
an oh or your zero looks just like an oh or vice versa or wether you
can't tell them apart in your handwriting, the same result still applies.

I defy someone to read my chicken scratches too!  If I sent in a
handwritten log, I'd have HUGE penalties. :-)

But in today's modern age, the computer is as much a part of most ham
shacks as the transceiver itself.  So I think if you want to type then
typing skills become a part of operating skills.  Just as penmanship
skills are a part of the handwritten log.  Properly logging Qs is as much
of a skill as hearing the call iself.  Remember contests were started to
simulate and practice for emergency communications.  What if you typed a
message wrong in a life threatening situation?  It's all part of the
skill needed to operate.

>Similarly, if our logging software would show our calls the way I prefer,
>we could easily tell the difference between typing wo0o and w0oo

This would help, or having a font with the slash through the zero helps
as well too.  Perhaps we need a keyboard where the oh is farther from the
zero? :-)

73,

Jon
KE9NA

The Second Amendment is NOT about duck hunting!

Jon Ogden

jono@enteract.com
www.qsl.net/ke9na